Monday, February 16, 2009

Our "Day of Love"

We decided to have a low key Valentine's day this year since we have a big date planned for Shane's birthday next week. Still we had a wonderful day......

The only thing better than seeing your husband walk through the door with flowers and a white Godiva bag, is seeing him walk through the door with flowers and this little blue bag. Of course, in this economy I would have killed him if he brought home one of those. Unless the bag had this inside of it. That I would have let slide :) Yum...I am savoring some Godiva even as I type.

Shane and Lydia made their Saturday shaped pancakes - this time Shane added pink food coloring and made hearts.

I contributed by making chocolate fondue.


Soon after breakfast the doorbell rang. The Valentine Lady has struck again!

"Daddy, the Valentine lady is sneaky!"



We had a babysitter for 3 hours, so we decided to head up to this incredible park overlooking downtown Chattanooga.



We then took a long walk through this beautiful neighborhood of historical homes. Our house looks a lot like the one in the top left. I am seriously considering painting our door red too.




This may sound a little odd, but I decided that we had to go to our favorite cheap Chinese restaurant for v-day. I never get Chinese food because of Lydia's peanut allergy. And as a bonus, this place was totally dead. (Go figure) No two hour wait for us. We really like that this restaurant is called "Mister Wok 2", like it is a sequel.

My fortune said "You will soon be singled out for a promotion". When you are a full time mom, what does that mean? Maybe that I am having another baby? Can it be a promotion when it is still no pay but more hours?


That night, after Lydia was asleep, I fired up my kitchen blowtorch and made Creme Brulée. While Shane was waiting for me to finish the preparations I asked him "Why is Creme Brulée particularly romantic for us?" He stared at me like a deer in the headlights. (I rarely ever ask him these kind of loaded questions, so I could tell he was a bit terrified of the implications of not remembering.) Slowly his terror turned into smugness. "Well, obviously it is because this is the dessert they served at our wedding dinner". Bonus points to you Shane. I used this recipe and it was divine. Sometimes the simplest dates are the most romantic, don't you agree? -

16 comments:

kristi lee said...

Ummmm...yes to the red door! Sorry, but when did making creme brulee qualify as an "simple date?"

Natalie Jane said...

Well, I made the dessert the night before and just carmelized the sugar on actually v-day. So that was simple right? :)

Kristin said...

Sounds like a nice, simple, romantic Valentine's day!

Unknown said...

It is so fun to see how everyone celebrates Valentine's Day. You sure made it a memorable day.

The Pyper Fam said...

That sounds like the perfect valentines day to me! A babysitter, Chinese food and Creme brulee! :) I also had creme brulee on v-day at clinkerdaggers! I am going to have to try this recipe, it looks delicious. You can't go wrong with Ina.

Jen said...

OMG, I love what the Valentine lady brought!!!
What were the gifts?

The Linabooty's said...

What a lovely day! Definitly yes to the red door and cheap chinese food yum...to bad I started my post baby diet today yuck. We also made heart shaped pancakes and don't know if they did this for you but the outsides still turned brown just with pink centers. Anyway my sister gave me a tip to add just a couple drops of beet juice supposedly doesn't taste like beets but gives it a deep pink color....anyway thought I'd pass it on:)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

My hubby and I get teased often about having "simple, cheap dates." We don't care - we'd rather talk to each other at a little taco shop, then go see a movie and stay silent!

Are You Serious! said...

♥ What a great day! I loves those old homes!!!

Momnerd said...

Looks like you had a great day! And I'm jealous if you're house looks like the one pictured...nice!

kristi lee said...

I knew you'd have a way to make it simple. One of these I'll get my planning ahead act together. YOU are fantastic at it! BTW, I tried calling you yesterday to tell you that that chocolate mint tea is AMAZING! I've had some every day.

kristi lee said...

Oh, I love my typos in my comments too. Classy.

Momtothree said...

This is Sissy Ray's daughter, Cindy Hale
You're blog is awesome! I totally need to work on mine some more. Part of my problem is that my camera only takes fuzzy pictures. Yours seems really good. What kind do you have?

Natalie Jane said...

Hi there! Funny to hear you commenting about my blog to your mom while I was talking to her :)

Actually my camera is just a Cannon PowerShot SD400 5 Mega Pikels. It is about 3 years old and as point and shoots go...is pretty slow. I do the best I can with what I have. Someday I will have an incredible camera......

Momtothree said...

yeah I think I actually figured that out as I read your blog some more. Most of the pictures I was drooling over were the ones by your photographer friend.

Anonymous said...

Now that's a great Valentine's Day!
Love the red door too, makes such a bold statement!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...